For the third consecutive year, the Nashville Pride organization is making available an educational scholarship for any student who identifies as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender. The scholarship is open to both new or returning students of any age who will be attending an accredited institution.
“The Nashville Pride organization is thrilled to be able to offer this scholarship to a deserving student or students,” says Pride President, Todd Grantham. “The success of our community is very important to all of us, and we cannot think of a better way to make a permanent difference in a GLBT man or woman’s life than to help support their education.”
According to Grantham, four separate scholarships of $500 for the complete academic year will be made available to any student who meets the following criteria:
- Identifies as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender
- A U.S. citizen or a legal resident of the U.S.
- A resident of Tennessee
- Involved in full-time study at an accredited two- or four-year college or university in the U.S.
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale for all returning students
- Has been or plans to become actively involved in community service
Prospective recipients must also submit the following information for consideration:
- A completed copy of the Nashville Pride Scholarship application form
- A sealed letter of recommendation and support from one to three sponsors highlighting abilities and accomplishments (sponsors may not be a relative)
- A copy of the most recent high-school or college transcript.
- A copy of a college or university acceptance letter (high school seniors only)
The winners of the 2007 NPI Educational Scholarship will be announced at the 19th Annual Nashville Pridefest to be held on Saturday, June 2, beginning at 11:00 a.m. at Centennial Park. For more information on the NPI Educational Scholarship, please contact scholarship chair Jenna Emert at 615-293-8232.
To download a copy of the Educational Scholarship Application or for more information on Nashville Pride, visit www.nashvillepride.org.