The Nashville GLBT Chamber of Commerce is encouraging its members to apply for the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC) /Wells Fargo GLBT Business Owner of the Year Award.
But hurry – the deadline for applications is July 9.
"The Nashville GLBT Chamber of Commerce, as an affiliate of the National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC), is pleased to announce the release of the NGLCC/Wells Fargo LGBT Business Owner of the Year Award application," explained John Wade, president of NGLBTCC. "The NGLCC works with Wells Fargo on an annual basis to recognize one outstanding LGBT business owner for his/her entrepreneurial spirit as demonstrated by the company’s business performance, innovation, growth and personal service to the community."
Justin Nelson, co-founder and president of the NGLCC said, "This award truly highlights the leadership and quality found in the LGBT business community. I’m looking forward to seeing this year’s applications."
The winner of the award will receive a $5,000 cash grant and be recognized at the NGLCC National Dinner: An Evening of Courage, November 7th, 2008, in Washington, DC. To learn more and download the application, visit www.nglcc.org/businessaward. Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wade said the chamber affiliate with the highest percentage of members to apply would be awarded a $2,500 grant, and encouraged all chamber businesses that are at least 51%+ GLBT owned and in business 3 yrs+ to apply.
"This is a great opportunity for our GLBT owned businesses," Wade said. "I encourage you to take a few minutes to complete the application process. Additionally, the Chamber with the highest percentage of members to apply will be awarded a $2,500 grant. Wouldn’t it be great to have a member of our Chamber win the award AND our Chamber win the grant? Please let me know if you have applied or are considering applying and if I can be of help to you. Good luck everyone."
Applications will be evaluated on the following criteria:
1) Describe your company and its products/services. What sets your company, products, or services apart from others?
2) What is your basic philosophy in conducting your business? What makes your company successful? Include your mission statement, if available.
3) Why did you start your company? What do you consider your greatest accomplishments as a business owner? What obstacles did you have to overcome as an LGBT business owner?
4) What benefits does your company provide to your: a) customers, b) employees, c) family, d) community, and e) industry? Include any specific examples.
5) How are you considered a role model by your peers, employees, or community?
6) Why do you think you should receive the NGLCC/Wells Fargo LGBT Business Owner of the Year Award? How will you utilize the funds?
7) Please provide two (2) letters of recommendation attesting to your business operations. Letters should demonstrate appreciation and support for you and your company and should be from any of the following: customers, employees, and/or community organizations. Each letter of recommendation must include a signature and contact information.